Riding high after the hugely successful Olympic opening ceremony, Danny Boyle comes back down to Earth with this so-so effort. James McAvoy is an art auctioneer who helps some criminals (led by Vincent Cassel) steal a very valuable painting. He then hits his head, forgetting where the painting is hidden, so they enlist the help of a hypnotherapist (Rosario Dawson) to try and find it.
There are some good ideas and performances within Trance, particularly the scenes where McAvoy is hypnotised. Boyle has already showed he can do trippy, hallucinogenic scenes very well ( Trainspotting, 127 Hours) but the problem with Trance is it just too complicated. Inception was hard to follow but if you watched it closely it all made sense. Trance is similar in presentation but just a bit of a mess, plus as all the characters are quite unlikable, you have no one to root for and ultimately lose interest.
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)