Self indulgent and messy but a few laughs on the way.
A bunch of celebrities playing themselves (Seth Rogen, James Franco, Jonah Hill, Emma Watson, Jay Baruchel, Danny McBride, Jason Segal, Michael Cera et al) encounter the end of the world during a party at James Franco’s house. Great premise but ultimately This is the End feels like a missed opportunity.
There is a few jokes at the actors expense (mainly at writer/director Seth Rogen) but this should have been a no holds barred, ‘roast’ style, take down of everyone involved and this never really transpires and it all ends up being far too pleased with itself. It feels like the cast just thought ‘we are funny as shit, lets just not write a script and film ourselves and it will be brilliant’.
With the comedy talent involved it would be ridiculous if there wasn’t a few funny moments and one liners and there is a couple of laugh out loud moments but not enough. Not as bad as the terrible Your Highness or Year One but the fact I am even mentioning This is the End in the same breath as those pieces of shit shows what a let down it is.
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)