‘I don’t know if there is anything wrong because I don’t know how other people are.’
Whilst on paper a dramedy starring Adam Sandler called Punch Drunk Love sounds fucking abysmal, don’t be fooled. This is not your average Sandler rubbish. Paul Thomas Anderson (There Will Be Blood, Magnolia) brings us this strange tale of a psychologically damaged man (Sandler) falling for an English girl (Emily Watson) in the midst of him getting scammed by a phone sex line, running his own business and buying lots of pudding to redeem air miles.
Punch Drunk Love is undoubtedly eminently watchable but I left it with a feeling of frustration. Not at the film itself but at the fact that Sandler can pull out performances like in this, Funny People and Reign Over Me but he still insists on squeezing out a turd like Jack and Jack every year. It is also frustrating that director PTA whilst obviously very talented, is so damn unproductive. Since his first film in 1996 (Sydney) he has only made five full length films since.
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)