Two young social outcasts find comfort in each other and run away together.
Jared Gilman and Kara Hayward star as the two children and they make for likeable and captivating leads. The excellent supporting cast features Ed Norton, Bruce Willis, Tilda Swinton, Frances McDormand plus Wes Anderson regulars Bill Murray and Jason Schwartzman. Ed Norton in particular shines as the scout master.
Moonrise Kingdom‘s first half is excellent, being reminiscent of other coming of age tales Stand By Me or Submarine but I felt it lost it’s way in the last twenty minutes, relying too much on quirk and eccentricity rather than story line. This seems to happens a lot in Wes Andersons movies but a lot of people seem to like it so if you liked The Life Aquatic and The Royal Tenanbaums then this one is probably for you. Oh and watch out for the hilarious nod to Shawshank Redemption early on. Wonderful stuff.
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)