A series of vaguely connected stories spanning centuries and featuring many different connected characters. One of the most ambitious films I have seen in recent years, comparable to The Tree of Life or The Fountain. Unfortunately Cloud Atlas’ ambition is what holds it back from being a truly great movie. At least three of the stories contained in this saga could have been feature films in their own right but the remaining tales seemed tacked on and unnecessary. This takes the running time to a bloated 2hours 53minutes. This film needed someone like Spielberg to trim some of the fat. It is one of the few films that I felt should have been made more accessible. This at least shows that the Wachowski brothers (The Matrix) are more than just a one trick pony after the critical and commercial flop Speed Racer. The acting is pretty solid with big names such as Tom Hanks, Hugh Grant, Halle Berry and Hugo Weaving all playing multiple parts but you probably need multiple viewings to truly appreciate Cloud Atlas and it just doesn’t feel worth it to be honest.
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)